Batch Rename support
Support for a basic 'Batch Rename' feature accessible from the same 'rename' item upon multi-select would be a great addition to SE 2.0
QuickPic features this and QuickPic's Batch Rename is so simple with it's use of customizable naming template codes.
I thought at first that Solid Explorer should have a same look renamer as the one that QuickPic has but now I am thinking of something a little more dedicated....
...Ok, how about Solid Explorer's 'Batch Rename' initiating in a separate window, just like how the Bookmarks Manager initiates in a separate SE window. With this, SE's batch Rename could support abilities:
= mass changing of file extension
= changing of case (uppercase/lowercase)
= sequential numbering or alphabetical (-001, 002 / -Aa -Bb) as a Prefix or Suffix to filenames
= Template codes (dd mm yy, time 00-00, modified date, file size, byte sizes)
= Saving/Deleting of custom profiles for the Rename (up to 20)
= Enable/disable showing of last used renaming profile
= converting spaces in filenames to any desired character
i need to change the extensions of about 200 ".ts" files into ".avi" so that audiovideo factory will pick them up and allow me to strip the audio from them. About to try X-Plore file manager, anyone got any other suggestions?
Great. Beside this technique you can check my software- BatchRenameFiles Tool. Go to google search and type the software name- BatchRenameFiles Tool and chekc teh first result. Hope it will help you.
I'm looking for information on how to use batch rename. I have a bunch of files I need to rename for case conventions. Thanks
Are you looking how to batch rename files.try KrojamSoft BatchRename.It is a great tool
Are ou looking how to batch rename files. Try KrojamSoft BatchRename program..It is a great tool
Are ou looking how to batch rename files. Try KrojamSoft BatchRename program
Flo Edelmann commented
Also, live preview (e.g. the first three selected) would be great to see changes in real time.
Flo Edelmann commented
I would like to see an option to change file date / time formats (like Y-m-d, m/d/Y, ... and 12h/24h mode)
Feedback on Batch Rename:
1. Pressing back button after cancelling a Batch Rename job, does not keep the same selected files as selected in the directory.
2. There is no method to 'Remove first' and 'Remove last' [input number] of characters for when wanting to trim a long filename. This is really needed as two separate rename choices
3. Input Variables faster - An ability to tap+hold on each Variable to input a variable with ease which would be faster and safer than manually typing a variable, is very much needed. These variables are just code (similar to bbcode on a forum).
4. A tickbox option named "Display last used rename" would be a great option to use and have especially for users like me that would prefer not to tinker around with variables when doing multiple similar rename jobs in different directories. QuickPic does this automatically, however automatically preserving/displaying last renaming choice without an option is a bit too forceful. A simple tickbox within a 3 dot overflow in Batch Rename window would suffice greatly.
5. An ability to change the case between UPPER, lower, Title - - - - - - - > notice how I stylized each of those three to represent what they mean :)
6. A new variable which would be an 'Alpha' would be great and would behave the same was as 'Digit' but would instead be alphabetical (Latin) for example. A, AA, AB, ABC........ Something similar to this, it could then be used in conjunction with 'digit'
7. As stated before, Batch Rename only works with the Bottom Toolbar enabled and needs to be supported without having yo enable the bottom toolbar.
Yeah a user friendly bulk rename utility like BatchRenameFiles Tool can be really helpful. Thanks
Batch Rename should be supported under the future Undo/Redo function: http://neatbytes.uservoice.com/forums/274528-solid-explorer-2-0/suggestions/6895942-undo-and-redo-function
Hi Krzysztof, thank you for your recent update on Batch Rename on G+ : https://plus.google.com/+KrzysztofGłodowski/posts/AUTKacxqvet
I remember making this recent screenshot mock-up relating to this, here: https://plus.google.com/114022487464947589395/posts/5XyuCbjyBGj
So I feel we are missing:
1. A tickbox option in Batch Rename to "Remember last used rename settings" a tickbox control is better than an automatic remembering
2. An ability to change the Case (upper, lower, title)
3. Should have an ability to customise the 'Digit' variable used as in what sequencing it uses such as examples 001,01,ABC,0A,xx etc.
4. We should have the option of tapping on each variable to input the variable in faster
5. A live real-time Preview could get shown at the very bottom of the SE Batch Rename screen using the same small text size and color you have used for the variables
6. A future Batch Rename for SE could have a "Queue" in which any renaming operation can be queued up to take place at any later time that a user chooses. This has many practical use cases.
For the second option and so the advanced features, I imagine something user-friendly like the bulk rename application or krename on kde.
To be able to rename files, according some defined patterns, as it is also possible in rename tools on Linux :
- sequential numbers (start, step...)
- change file extension
- replace characters (underscore, space...)
- upper/lower case
- first letter uppercase, lowercase for others
Actually SE 2.0 could give a settings option to be able to use Two styles of Batch Rename.
The first style could be a simple pop up menu (just like QuickPic's batch rename input menu) showing some legend list of renaming template codes.
The second option style could be a fill size window (like the Bookmark Manager window) in where the display of things would be more dedicated.
Also a separate window could provide the user with a Real-time preview as you type of what the rename would look like before saving it....This would be all part of the usefulness of having the batch Rename in a separate UI window interface